Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Mrs. Stanley's lemon butter

I was very fancy (not like me) and domestic today and made some lemon butter.
I found an easy enough recipe so I thought I would have a go.
It turned out quite well.

Whilst whisking the mixture over a double saucepan for 20 minutes (quite agonizing for me), I remembered Hubby's mother (Kath) gave me a recipe for lemon butter years ago.
I had made it before but decided to tuck it away because I have very little self control when it comes to lemon butter, and 250 grams of butter is a little to much to consume in several days.

The recipe was "Mrs.Stanley's".
Mrs. Stanley was Hubby's Aunty's Mother-in-law (sorry about the brain teaser) and every Xmas she would bring little lemon tarts with homemade tart shells to Xmas dinner.
They were something to look forward to I can assure you!
Here is a photo of Mrs. Stanley's lemon butter recipe hand written by Kath.

The scrawl next to Kath's writing is mine.
It is the conversion for a metric double batch.

It was nice to think about these two lovely ladies today (they have both passed away sadly) and remember those Xmas' when they were both there. (And I was probably in a corner somewhere quietly stuffing lemon butter tarts in my mouth)

Feel free to jot down the recipe.
It is really good!

5 comments:

  1. Do you wash and sterilise those jars too?

    How many jars that size does the double batch make?

    Sorry you put up the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMMC- I just put the jars through the dishwasher. That's pretty close to sterilising in my mind. A double batch would probably make about 5. Woolies has some yummy tart shells near the bread section....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just read your response ... thank you. Great tips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make lemon butter every winter. I use the dishwasher to sterilise, but if I have clean jars stored in the pantry I pop them in a slow oven for about 20 minutes. I boil the lids separately for 5 minutes in a saucepan. They seal very well when everything is hot. Lovely memories of Mrs Stanley. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Megan - my memory of Granny's lemon tarts is as fresh as yours...the were heaven encased in shortcrust! Thanks for bringing a smile to my face today :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Loaded Web

See blogs and businesses for Australia